Forensic Technician IV
- - TX-Austin
- Austin, TX, USA
- Full Time
The incumbent is responsible for performing specific portions of testing on forensic casework while complying with client and company requirements. Will work as part of a highly motivated team to process high-quality casework in a timely and efficient manner. Focus is on quality, meeting client deadlines, flexibility to adapt to changing client needs, and customer service.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Help train other staff members on serology methods, extraction methods, and internal procedures.
- Make sound scientific decisions with respect to screening results obtained based on validated methods and standard operating procedures.
- Help other staff members as needed to complete serology and molecular biology work and respond quickly to changing priorities in casework.
- Execute molecular biology laboratory protocols associated with screening and molecular biology methods (including extraction, quant, amp, and CE protocols) on assigned casework.
- Propose solutions as needed to address problems associated with screening or molecular biology work.
- Utilize a variety of modern scientific equipment (e.g., 7500s, 3500s).
- Prepare reagent aliquots and conduct QC testing on new lots of reagents and/or kits.
- Complete assignments within the designated timeframe.
- Organize assigned activities to maximize efficiency, and alert management when technical or schedule problems arise. Help other staff organize screening and molecular biology activities to maximize efficiency.
- Perform lab work wearing appropriate PPE, and practice good contamination control techniques.
- Ensure that chain of custody documentation is complete and accurate.
- Adhere to quality assurance practices.
- Prepare screening reports as appropriate (e.g., those associated with negative male screening results or 'stop at quant' results).
- Perform administrative reviews for with casework.
- Provide fact witness testimony in a court of law, must be able to travel by air.
- Assist with routine laboratory decontamination as needed.
- Assist with inventory tracking and control for laboratory consumables.
- Respond to inquiries orally and in writing, including those internally and from clients.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Read, write, and communicate fluently in English.
- Possess sound reasoning skills and regularly show ability to follow detailed standard instructions, with great attention to detail and guidance from company policy manuals and forensic SOPs.
- Possess a working knowledge of Microsoft Office; specifically, Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Excel, and Microsoft Access; instrument software (e.g, QIAcubes, EZ1s, 7500s, 3500s). Ability to learn then successfully navigate STACS™-CW tracking software.
- Ability to communicate technical information to non-technical audiences.
- Ability to train others on serology and molecular biology methods and maintain appropriate training documentation for the trainees.
Education/Experience: Incumbent must meet the forensic technician requirements specified by the Texas Forensic Science Commission regarding education and experience.Possess at least a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in a technical or scientific discipline plus at least two years of relevant work experience. A MS degree from an accredited institution in a technical or scientific discipline is considered equivalent to the work experience requirement.
Certificates and Licenses: Must be willing and eligible to obtain required State License for Forensic Technician as specified by the Texas Forensic Science Commission.
Supervisory Responsibilities: None.
Working Conditions/ Equipment: Must work in a laboratory environment that requires wearing PPE and standing for extended periods of time. Required to enter data and write reports by typing on a computer. Will have potential contact with hazardous materials, including biological fluids and must be able to lift up to 20 pounds without assistance and 40 pounds with assistance to handle evidence.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.