Data Scientist- Epidemiology
- - VA-Charlottesville
- Charlottesville, VA, USA
- Full Time
Signature Science provides a broad range of scientific and analytical expertise to our clients in both mission support and research & development related to public health and national security. We're looking for a data scientist with an epidemiology background to add to our growing team of data scientists, bioinformaticians, statisticians, and software developers.
Team and Position Overview:
Our infectious disease modeling group is a small team with an outsized impact. The successful applicant will work with our team to enhance the nation's next-generation disease forecasting capabilities, supported by the CDC's new Center for Forecasting and Outbreak Analytics. You'll be part of a multidisciplinary team working on a variety of projects spanning infectious disease modeling and forecasting, genomics, bioinformatics, and other data science infrastructure development. The team develops primarily using R, tidyverse, Shiny, and deploys to cloud environments using containerization technologies such as Docker. The successful applicant will be an expert in these technical areas and have experience working with biomedical, clinical and/or epidemiological surveillance data.
Some of your work will require onsite presence at client installations, thus relocation to Charlottesville VA is preferred. However, a portion of the work also will be conducive to remote work; your supervisor will provide guidance to determine an optimal distribution between onsite and offsite work location assignments. Our broader team is geographically distributed and we have struck a balance between maintaining collaboration and availability when working remotely, while also prioritizing "focus time" to get deep work done by minimizing unnecessary meetings and maximizing effectiveness of asynchronous communication.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Work collaboratively to develop and/or implement new forecasting and modeling techniques for infectious diseases and other health-related data.
- Support development of open-source software.
- Work with the development team and partner agencies to integrate newly developed systems into existing workflows, develop training materials, and provide technical assistance.
- Interface with CDC and other public health decision makers to consult on design, operation, and interpretation of forecasting and data analytics tools and methods.
- Write research reports, peer-reviewed manuscripts, and deliver presentations internally and externally.
About you (required knowledge, skills & experience):
- You have a background in public health, epidemiology, infectious disease modeling, or a related field.
- You have an advanced degree (PhD, MS) in epidemiology, public health, data science, or a related field, or a bachelor's degree with 7 years of comparable experience.
- You have 5+ years of experience in data analysis using R and the Tidyverse ecosystem, and you have a demonstrable fluency with data manipulation and tidying.
- You have a solid foundation in statistics, quantitative methods, and experimental design.
- You have good git hygiene, with demonstrable experience on GitHub/Gitlab/etc. working collaboratively with other data scientists in a team.
- You have demonstrable experience building and deploying R packages and/or Shiny applications.
- You write manuscripts, reports, and documentation using literate programming tools (RMarkdown, Jupyter Notebooks).
- Preferred qualifications
- You're an expert working in a Unix/Linux environment.
- You've developed and deployed containerized scientific computing solutions using Docker. Even better, you have experience orchestrating containerized analysis workflows using Kubernetes or similar technologies.
- You're familiar with how to use structured or unstructured database query technology (for example PostgreSQL, MongoDB, Spark, etc.) to answer research computing questions at scale.
Security and clearance requirements:
The ability to obtain a Secret clearance and Department of Homeland Security suitability are required for this position.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings