Forensic Technician I
- - TX-Austin
- Austin, TX, USA
- Full Time
The FT I is responsible for assisting the Evidence Manager with laboratory-related evidence handling duties as needed, and for performing all aspects associated with screening forensic casework while complying with client and company requirements. Work in a team setting to process high quality casework in a timely and efficient manner.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Complete assigned work according to established SOPs, coordinate with other analysts on progress and respond quickly to changing assignments due to changing priorities in casework.
- Perform lab work wearing appropriate PPE, and practice good contamination control techniques.
- Ensure that chain of custody documentation is complete and accurate.
- Prepare serology reagent aliquots and conduct QC testing on new lots of reagents.
- Perform screening on assigned casework samples with diverse matrices using all validated methods, including use of the ALS to find probative stains on items, taking appropriate cuttings from items, performing blood and semen screening.
- Make sound scientific decisions with regard to screening results obtained based on validated methods and standard operating procedures.
- Incorporate quality assurance principles into the laboratory operation and strive for continuous quality improvement.
- Respond to inquiries orally and in writing.
- Prepare forensic serology reports.
- Complete assignments within the designated timeframe and demonstrate effective personal time management in general.
- Organize assigned activities to maximize efficiency, and alert management when technical or schedule problems arise.
- Provide expert testimony in a court of law, must be able to travel by air.
- Perform maintenance and decontamination tasks as requested.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:Incumbent must meet the serologist requirements specified by the Texas Forensic Science Commission regarding education and experience.
- Read, write, and communicate fluently in English.
- Possess sound reasoning skills and regularly show ability to follow detailed standard instructions, with great attention to detail and guidance from company policy manuals and forensic SOPs.
- Possess a working knowledge of Microsoft Office; specifically, Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Excel, and Microsoft Access. Ability to learn then successfully navigate STACS™-CW tracking software.
- Ability to communicate technical information to non-technical audiences.
- Travel via airline for testimony as needed.
Education/Experience: Incumbent must meet the forensic technician requirements specified by the Texas Forensic Science Commission regarding education and experience. Possess at least a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in a technical or scientific discipline; however, relevant work experience may be substituted. May have little or no prior work experience.
Certificates and Licenses: Must be willing and eligible to obtain required State License for Forensic Technician as specified by the Texas Forensic Science Commission.
Supervisory Responsibilities: None.
Working Conditions/ Equipment: Must work in a laboratory environment that requires wearing PPE and standing for extended periods of time. Required to enter data and write reports by typing on a computer. Will have potential contact with hazardous materials, including biological fluids and must be able to lift up to 20 pounds without assistance and 40 pounds with assistance to handle evidence.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.