- - TX-Austin
- Austin, TX, USA
- Full Time
The successful candidate will perform research and development, and test and evaluation in support of defense, forensics, and national security projects. The candidate must be motivated to contribute in a team environment, collaborate across multiple scientific and technical disciplines, and be excited to develop new skills. The candidate will be based in our Austin, TX headquarters within the CBRNE Sciences Division. The candidate must have the flexibility to balance multiple on-going tasks while operating efficiently with minimal supervision. Job functions will include method development, instrument maintenance, as well as mass spectrometric-based metabolomic and proteomic analysis of biological samples, and the processing and review of the resulting data.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Develop liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry (LC-MS/MS) methods for metabolomic and proteomic analysis of samples
• Develop novel sample preparation methods for multi-omic biochemical analyses
• Review raw LC-MS/MS data for quality, and process, analyze, and summarize data
• Presents technical results through the drafting of scientific and technical reports and presentation meetings
• Lead and/or support technical tasks or projects within a collaborative teaming environment
• Direct certain research and development activities, and performing literature searches
• Perform routine maintenance and troubleshooting LC-MS/MS equipment
• Other duties as assigned
• Performance of all job duties is intended to be completed under limited direct supervision of their supervisor
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Experience in high resolution-accurate mass (HRAM) mass spectrometry, tandem mass spectrometry (MS/MS) of small molecules and peptides,
• Experience in liquid chromatography, including HPLC, UHPLC, microflow-LC and nano-LC for the separation of metabolites, peptides, and small molecules
• Advanced knowledge of LC-MS/MS systems and experience in instrument maintenance and troubleshooting
• Ability to plan sequence of experiments to answer complicated technical questions
• Ability to communicate technical information to non-technical audiences
• Ability to manage multiple tasks with competing priorities simultaneously
• Experience and proficiency with Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Word, and Powerpoint
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to work independently and to interact effectively with individuals on multi-disciplinary teams
• Experience in analyzing large metabolomic and proteomic datasets to include library searching, proteomic/peptide sequencing search engines
• Research and development experience related to chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear, and explosives (CBRNE) materials
• Demonstrated peer-reviewed publication and presentation record
• Sufficient business knowledge to support marketing, and bids and proposal efforts
• Abilty to think creatively, demonstrate curiosity, and lead research teams or chemical analysis labs
Successful candidate must have a Masters degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Biology, or related scientific discipline with at least 3 years of professional experience; or a Ph.D. in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Biology, or related scientific discipline
Certificates and Licenses:
Candidate must be willing to and able to complete a successful background screening to obtain and maintain a government security clearance. Candidates with an active security clearance will be given preference.
No staff supervisory responsibilities will be expected.
Working Conditions/ Equipment:
• Ability to sit or stand for long period of time at lab bench.
• Must be able to lift light (e.g., 25 lbs) loads.
• Must be able and willing to travel via commercial airline as needed to attend conferences or business meetings as needed.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.