- - VA-Charlottesville
- Charlottesville, VA, USA
- Full Time
Signature Science brings together the brightest minds from across the scientific disciplines under a common mission to apply high-quality scientific analysis and technical skills to national and homeland security, public health, and law enforcement challenges. Our scientists, engineers, and technicians collaborate to deliver innovative solutions to our clients' toughest problems. To advance Signature Science's mission, the Bioinformatician is responsible for providing data analysis for complex data sets, including but not limited to, the curation of large databases of genetic information and the analysis of next generation sequencing (NGS) data with a focus on microbial forensics and metagenomics. The bioinformatician will also be responsible for identifying improvements and executing code or pipelines for analysis genomic data for advancements in intelligence applications.
Essential Duties and Responsibilitie:
- Support projects through employing efficient and accurate data evaluation techniques, appropriately interpreting novel scenarios with limited support data, placing levels of statistical confidence on data output, and clearly reporting results.
- Support technical tasks or projects within a collaborative teaming environment. The Bioinformatician may work within a team of molecular biologists, forensic scientists, database specialists, intelligence production and reporting analysts, other bioinformaticists, and/or statisticians to provide solutions to maximize the utility, confidence, and rapid reporting of results for large genomic/proteomic data sets.
- Provide computational support for internal bioinformatics objectives, as well as for ongoing customer-driven projects, including experiment design, genome-wide association studies, analysis of gene expression, algorithm and NGS pipeline development, end user trainings, and client interactions.
- Interact with clients (on and off-site) as requested and present technical data through presentations and report writing.
- Complete assignments within the designated timeframe and budget, organize assigned activities to maximize efficiency, and alert management when technical or schedule problems arise.
- Develop tools for management, analysis and interpretation of genomic or proteomic data sets to include sequencing.
- Managing, manipulating, analyzing data using a combination of R, python, UNIX tools, or other commercial software such as CLC Genomics Workbench.
- Using established domain-specific open-source software and tools to manipulate and analyze genomic data.
- Implement and execute data processing workflows and automated analytic pipelines.
- Create standardized summary tables and figures using literate programming and reproducible workflows.
- Conduct workflow benchmarking and documentation, identifying inconsistencies and resolving data problems.
- Prepare and execute SOPs, document source code/workflows, and write reports to summarize analysis results for intelligence reporting.
- Review, evaluate, and analyze data from samples and provide database entry support
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of Sanger and next generation DNA sequencing technologies (e.g. 454, Illumina, SOLiD, MinION, PacBio, Ion Torrent) and NGS data processing is highly desirable.
- Advanced proficiency with open-source software, tools, and databases for analyzing next-generation sequencing data (whole-genome sequencing, RNA-seq, microbiome, and metagenomics).
- Proficiency in use of genomics tools such as BLAST and CLC Genomics Workbench
- Experience working in a Unix/Linux environment.
- Ability to understand and create new ontologies for the curation of genomic or proteomic data sets.
- Ability to cogently define and document requirements related to the development or redesigned of large bioinformatics-related databases.
- Strong oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills and abilities.
- Capable of multi-tasking; working several complex and diverse tasks with simultaneous or near simultaneous deadlines in a dynamic fast-paced environment.
- Preferred: Proficiency using version Control software (e.g., Git or similar) to manage programming code.
- Preferred: Proficiency with Python, Perl, or another scripting language.
- Preferred: Experience with NextFlow, SnakeMake, or similar workflow/pipeline management systems.
- U.S. citizenship
- MS or PhD in Bioinformatics, Genomics, Data Science, or related field
- Experience (5+ years with MS or 3+ years with PhD) managing and analyzing large-scale datasets produced sequencing platforms and deliver solutions for managing, visualizing, analyzing, and interpreting genomic data
- Experience using Linux/Unix text processing tools, R, and other open-source tooling to manipulate and format data, to assess data quality, and analyze data.
- Experience with select agents/BSL3+ pathogen laboratory methods, detection, and characterization
- This position requires that the candidate be willing and able to complete a successful background screening for a security clearance. Candidates with an active DoD TOP SECRET security clearance will receive preference.
- May serve as a task/project lead.
Working Conditions/ Equipment:
- Ability to work in varying conditions to include: traditional office environments with sedentary extended periods required for data analysis, summary/report drafting, code development and testing.