- - TX-Austin
- Austin, TX, USA
- Full Time
Come join the biology team at Signature Science! We work across biology and biochemistry disciplines to deliver high quality, impactful products and knowledge to our clients. Our research programs focus on impactful studies targeted to address challenges facing public health, human and microbial forensics, and the environment. We utilize basic and applied research to deliver solutions to our customers using emerging synthetic biology, bioengineering, traditional molecular biology, microbiology, and bioinformatics tools.We are looking for highly motivated molecular biologists eager to expand their knowledgebase, engage with programs that support public health and national security, and work with a group of talented, supportive scientists to achieve our research goals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform and/or lead tasks on various research and development activities broadly focused on applied synthetic biology, microbial forensics, and DNA sequencing.
- Operate NGS platforms (Illumina, ONT). Participate in DNA sequence analysis. This includes analysis of human DNA, other eukaryotic genomes, microbial/viral genomes, as well as metagenomic samples.
- Support projects through employing efficient and accurate data evaluation techniques, placing levels of statistical confidence on data output, and clearly reporting results.
- Help grow the chemical and biological sciences business areas through the successful and timely execution of projects, positive interactions with clients, recognition of opportunities for follow-on work with existing clients, establishment of new opportunities, proposal development and writing support, and internal research and development.
- Be motivated to contribute in a team environment.
- Collaborate across multiple scientific and technical disciplines including biology, chemistry, and engineering.
- Be excited to develop new skills and seek out opportunities to learn or apply knowledge on behalf of the company and our clients.
- Have the flexibility to balance multiple on-going tasks while operating efficiently with minimal supervision.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Must have demonstrated experience performing synthetic biology or molecular biological techniques.
- Must be experienced in nucleic acid extraction, PCR, and electrophoresis. Ideal candidates will also have experience with molecular cloning, NGS library preparation, and protein analysis (e.g., electrophoresis, ELISA, western blot).
- Strong candidates will have experience designing PCR primers for molecular cloning or pathogen detection assays.
- Experience with synthetic biology tools is preferred (e.g., CRISPR, gene knock-in/knock-out).
- Experience with cell culture preferred (bacterial propagation, eukayotic cell line maintenance).
- Demonstrated experience utilizing statistical analysis tools including excel, R, or matlab.
- Must be able to effectively communicate technical results, findings, or troubleshooting strategies.
- Must be able to present results and findings in a group setting. Should have sufficient knowledge of statistical analysis to construct and analyze data from scientifically defensible experiments.
- Must be able to do extended deskwork at a computer.
- Must be able to stand for several hours at a time to perform lab work.
- Must be able to wear standard PPE (e.g., mask, gloves, lab coat) for extended periods of time.
Bachelor's degree in relevant scientific discipline (e.g., biology, molecular biology, microbiology, bioinformatics) required. Multiple years of additional work experience in a laboratory setting performing relevant activities preferred. Preference may be given to candidates holding a relevant M.S. or Ph.D. degree.
Certificates and Licenses:
This position requires that the candidate be willing and able to complete a successful background screening for a security clearance.
Working Conditions/ Equipment:
This position requires work in a laboratory environment that may require wearing PPE and standing for extended periods of time. Will also be required to enter data and write reports by typing on a computer. Must be willing and able to lift light loads (e.g., 25 lbs) and travel via commercial airline as needed to attend conferences or business meetings.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.