Material Scientist (Contingent)
- - VA-Charlottesville
- Charlottesville, VA, USA
- Full Time
The successful candidate will perform research and development, test and evaluation, and forensic characterization of materials and nanoparticles in support of defense and national security projects. The candidate must be motivated to contribute in a team environment, collaborate across multiple scientific and technical disciplines, and be excited to develop new skills. The candidate will be based in our Charlottesville, VA facility within the CBRNE Sciences Division.
This position is contingent upon Signature Science winning a position on a laboratory support services contract. Contract award is anticipated in Fall 2022
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Perform forensic material characterization and analysis of samples
• Operate and maintain material characterization instrumentation to include:
• X-ray diffraction (XRD)
• Scanning electron microscopy-energy dispersive spectroscopy (SEM-EDS)
• Inductively-coupled plasma-mass spectrometry (ICP-MS)
• Fourier transform infrared (FTIR) spectroscopy
• Polarized light microscopy (PLM)
• Develop and document standard operating procedures and methods for material characterization
• Assess, interpret, and document characterization results
• Test and evaluate analytical instrumentation and technologies for the chemical and physical characterization of materials
• Train staff on material characterization techniques and how to interpret the resulting data
• Presents experimental and data evaluation results and recommended actions at internal project meetings
• This position may require irregular hours, to include work on weekends or after regular business hours. This position may require domestic travel.
• Other duties as assigned
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Experience in physical and chemical characterization of materials
• Experience in the characterization and analysis of nanomaterials and nanoparticles
• Strong problem solving skills and aptitude
• Well-organized and an attention to detail
• Ability to manage multiple tasks with competing priorities simultaneously
• Experience and proficiency with Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Word, and Powerpoint
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to work independently and to interact effectively with individuals on multi-disciplinary teams
• Experience performing forensic analysis of samples
• Research and development experience related to chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear, and explosives (CBRNE) materials
• Experience in applying and reviewing forensic laboratory data for quality assurance and quality control (QA/QC) aspects as it relates to laboratory processes, sample analyses, and resulting data
• Abilty to think creatively, demonstrate curiosity, and lead research teams or chemical analysis labs
Successful candidate must have a Bachelor's degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or Material Science or related scientific discipline with at least 5 years of professional experience; or a Ph.D. or Master's degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or Material Science with at least 2 years of experience.
Certificates and Licenses:
Candidate must be willing to and able to complete a successful background screening to obtain and maintain a government security clearance. Candidates with an active security clearance will be given preference.
No staff supervisory responsibilities will be expected.
Working Conditions/ Equipment:
Ability to sit or stand for long period of time at lab bench.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.