Genomics Research Scientist
- - VA-Charlottesville
- Charlottesville, VA, USA
- Full Time
Signature Science is seeking a highly motivated, self-starter Genomics Research Scientist eager to join our dynamic and fast-paced environment serving the forensic science community. This individual will be responsible for performing molecular diagnostic analysis of casework samples submitted to our laboratory and research and validation on new technology and/or laboratory methods. Prior experience with human genotyping and/or sequencing (e.g., microarray and MPS technologies) is required. Prior experience working in a forensic laboratory is preferred.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conducting laboratory tests using various automated platforms and/or manual methods (e.g., microarray and MPS) on DNA isolated from blood, saliva, and other body fluids.
- Adhering to proper handling and safeguarding of DNA samples and data.
- Following established standard operating procedures, complying with laboratory policies, and reporting nonconformance to supervisor.
- Performing analysis and interpretation of genotyping results from diverse matrices for single source and mixture results.
- Participating in validation studies of new DNA methodology as well as established methods and procedures.
- Performing established quality assurance procedures such as quality control testing, instrument function checks, preventative maintenance, and calibrations while maintaining appropriate documentation and reporting irregularities.
- Troubleshooting and resolving technical issues, documenting corrective action, and assisting in quality assurance investigations of nonconforming events.
- Developing, writing, and reviewing technical documents including but not limited to SOPs, proposals, test plans, and validation summaries.
- Completing assigned tasking on schedule and notifying supervisor of any changes resulting in scope or timeline shifts.
- Completing required training and participating in continuing education activities.
- Maintaining proper chain of custody.
- Preparing forensic reports for peer review.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
The qualified candidate must have a fundamental knowledge of genetics and molecular biology, prior experience with microarray and/or MPS technologies, as well as familiarity with other molecular technologies such as DNA extraction, quantitation, PCR, and sequencing and/or genotyping. This individual must be highly organized, adept, and capable of working in a fast-paced, dynamic environment. U.S. Citizenship is a prerequisite for application.
- BS in biological sciences or a related field with 3+ years full time laboratory experience or MS degree with equivalent research experience
- Experience with microarray and/or MPS technology
- Working/intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Excel and other Office 365 programs
- Experience in scientific writing to include proposals, test plans, validations, and peer-reviewed articles
- Works and communicates effectively as a team member
- Self-motivated and ambitious individual eager to tackle assigned tasking and to learn new technologies
- Enthusiasm for genetics, DNA technology, and working both operational and research environments
- Willingness to perform a hybrid role including casework processing as well as research and development
BS in biological sciences or a related field with 3+ years full time laboratory experience or MS degree with equivalent research experience.
This position requires that the candidate be willing and able to obtain and maintain a Top Secret security clearance with a CI Poly. Candidates with a current security clearance will receive preference.
May serve as a task/project lead.
Working Conditions/ Equipment:
Ability to work in varying conditions to include laboratory, traditional office environments with extended sedentary periods required for code development and testing. Will have potential contact with hazardous materials, including biological fluids and on occasion may be required to lift ~40 pounds.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings