- - VA-Charlottesville
- Charlottesville, VA, USA
- Full Time
The successful candidate will be based in our Charlottesville, VA facility and support numerous research and development, test and evaluation, and forensic chemical analysis projects related to defense and national security. The candidate must be motivated to contribute to a team environment, collaborate across multiple scientific and technical disciplines, and be excited to develop new skills.
This position is contingent upon Signature Science winning a position on a laboratory support services contract. Contract award is anticipated in Spring 2023.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following services:
- Duties may be executed in a CONUS or OCONUS laboratory and include performing forensic analyses of samples that have been collected
- Conducting sample analysis using various analytical chemistry techniques including gas chromatography-mass spectrometry (GC-MS) and liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry (LC-MS/MS) for both qualitative and quantitative measurements
- Developing methods for the detection of a wide variety of analytes
- Developing and executing test plans; and data analysis
- Domestic and/or international travel may be required
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required
- Detail oriented and be able to appropriately document their work
- Hands-on laboratory experience in the natural or physical sciences is required with candidates with specific analytical chemistry experience preferred
- Experience with gas and/or liquid chromatography, mass spectrometry, Fourier transform infrared (FTIR) or Raman, spectroscopy, biochemical assays, or other chemical analysis methods such as X-ray diffraction (XRD), X-ray fluorescence (XRF), scanning electron microscopy-energy dispersive spectroscopy (SEM-EDS), ion chromatography-mass spectrometry (IC-MS), and/or inductively coupled plasma-mass spectrometry (ICP-MS) is desired
- Previous work in a chemical analysis laboratory and experience in applying quality assurance and quality control (QA/QC) procedures
- Previous research and development experience related to chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear, and/or explosive (CBRNE) threats is a plus
- Flexibility to balance multiple on-going tasks while operating efficiently with minimal supervision
- Candidate must be able to think creatively and demonstrate curiosity in conducting R&D projects
- Familiarity with MS Office including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook is required
B.S. in Chemistry, Biochemistry, or other related physical science and 2–4 years of additional relevant work experience; or a M.S. in Chemistry, Biochemistry, or other physical science with 1–2 years of additional relevant work experience with an emphasis on research and development is required. Ph.D. with 0–1 years of additional work experience will be considered.
This position requires that the candidate be willing and able to complete a successful background screening for a security clearance. Candidates with an active security clearance will receive preference.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings