Remote Forensic DNA Analyst
- - TX-Austin
- Austin, TX, USA
- Full Time
The incumbent is responsible for performing all aspects associated with screening and DNA testing for forensic casework while complying with client and company requirements. Will work as part of a highly motivated team to process high-quality casework in a timely and efficient manner. Focus is on quality, meeting client deadlines, flexibility to adapt to changing client needs, and customer service.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as batch lead on batches, direct the activities of FS I and II analysts on that batch, and respond quickly to changing priorities in casework. Perform assigned casework on individual cases as assigned, including rush cases.
- Make sound scientific decisions with regards to DNA scientific results obtained.
- Perform statistical analysis and interpretation of DNA results from diverse matrices and DNA template level for both single source and mixture results, including using probabilistic genotyping where appropriate.
- Respond to internal and external inquiries orally and in writing.
- Prepare forensic reports.
- Complete assignments within the designated timeframe.
- Organize assigned activities to maximize efficiency, and alert management when technical or schedule problems arise.
- Provide expert testimony in a court of law (must be able to travel by air).
- Routinely performs second reads on GMID-X data.
- Conducts technical reviews of casework.
- Perform administrative reviews on casework.
- Directs and manages tasks within the forensic practice (e.g., validation efforts) or within Signature Science (e.g., tasks on bio R&D projects).
- Supports business development efforts, which may include proposal support, and tradeshow and/or conference attendance.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities: Incumbent must meet the DNA analyst requirements specified in the FBI QAS regarding education and experience.
- Self motivated, work effectively from home and meet required performance and production metrics associated with remote DNA analysts
- Read, write, and communicate fluently in English
- Possess the ability to calculate statistics associated with casework
- Possess sound reasoning skills and regularly show ability to follow detailed standard instructions, with great attention to detail and guidance from company policy manuals and forensic SOPs
- Possess a working knowledge of Microsoft Office; specifically Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Excel, and Microsoft Access; instrument software (i.e., AB7500, AB3500xL); and data analysis software associated with DNA testing (i.e., GeneMapper ID-X)
- Use the STACS™-CW tracking software for casework and maintenance activities
- Ability to communicate technical information to non-technical audiences
- Identify areas for improvement within the practice and work with management to implement new policies and procedures to that end.
Education/Experience: Must meet the DNA Analyst requirements specified in the FBI QAS regarding education and experience. Should have at least six years of progressively responsible and complex experience as a qualified DNA analyst.A Ph.D from an accredited institution in a related technical discipline is considered equivalent to two years of the work experience requirement.
Certificates and Licenses: Must be willing and eligible to obtain required State Licenses for Forensic DNA Analysts as specified by the Texas Forensic Science Commission.
Management Skills: Will have advanced training in a particular area of a scientific or technical discipline and/or significant experience-based competence in research and development or technical services activities. Experience at this level is expected to include independent research conducted as part of an advanced degree program and/or significant contributions as an integral part of a project team with responsibility for directing and managing discrete tasks or subtasks. Task management experience should include responsibility for mentoring, training, directing, and managing the activities of other staff members, and demonstrated ability to manage production and delivery of finished deliverables within budget and schedule constraints. May serve as a staff manager.
Working Conditions/ Equipment: Must work in a laboratory environment that requires wearing PPE and standing for extended periods of time. Required to enter data and write reports by typing on a computer. Will have potential contact with hazardous materials, including biological fluids and must be able to lift up to 20 pounds without assistance and 40 pounds with assistance to handle evidence.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.